Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Questions

So are you ready for this?
I normally like to start out slow and tell a story or something then build on from there, but today I'm just not feeling it.
There are some things that have been bugging me, and I want to ask you all some questions.  Christian/Believer or not, I would like you to think about this one.

What does it mean to be "Gay"?


If your friend, brother, sister, daughter, or son came to you and said, "I'm gay."  What would that mean to you?  Would you automatically assume that they were a "homosexual" and destined for hell, if they did not quickly change their ways?  Would you feel an urgency to save them from their predicted destination and destruction?  I don't really want to know what you would do....I want to know, what would you think?  Because your thoughts will in turn shape your actions.

Perspective.  You'll notice that I changed the picture on the page.  I know it's just a play with mirrors and kind of lame, actually - yet it speaks volumes about this very subject.

I follow Jamie on Facebook.  Jamie is a Christian and he says that he's "gay".  (I keep putting that into quotations for a reason.  His definition, and yours might NOT mean the same.)  Jamie and I are not friends, in fact, I have no idea who he is except what I learn from him on Facebook.  I'm not even sure how we met.   What I do remember is why I "friended" him on Facebook.  He was inspiring.  He spoke much about what God was doing in his life and very little about being "gay" or the fight for gay rights.  And I found his overflowing joy for the Lord to be refreshing.  His simple little updates would inspire me to look at my day through the 'Love of the Lord' lens - to think less of myself and my own simple desires not being met, and to focus more on what God would want me to see, do, or think.

Yes, folks, you heard me right:  A 'gay" Christian has made me more focused and joyful for Christ.
Now how can that be? ....

It's hard to know where to start on this.  I try to be a peacemaker when it comes to this subject for probably more personal reasons than I would care to admit.  But I have to face it, I can be just as judgemental as the next guy.

Judging people isn't wrong, as some people would have you believe- no, not even according to the Bible.  The scripture that is quoted the most for this is Matt 7 :1-3 the King James version which simply says, "Judge not, that ye be not judged."  Although we typically hear the verse morphed into "Judge not, lest you be judged." And we walk away from that saying, "Yep, that's what it says: Do not judge others or God will judge you (condemn you, basically is what were thinking).   It's a good warning to remember, true- however, let's not take away from it that there is no such thing as righteous judgement, or we can't judge at all.  This is not a rule and the Bible doesn't say, "Don't judge." as if making any kind of pat statement on anything is a sin.  It is a caution, a warning.  That if you are going to make a judgement about someone, saying "This is wrong; you need to change."  then you are held accountable to that same criteria.  This is coming from the God that looks into and judges the hearts of men, so we shouldn't take it lightly, but if anyone says to you, "You are a Christian, so you can't judge me." they are mistaken.  Is a woman having intimate relations with another woman wrong, yes.  The Bible says it is (and vice versa with a man).  But does this entitle us (Christians) to put a finger in their face saying, "Repent of your wickedness."?  Yes?   How sure are you of this.....?

Bullying is nothing new.  It's been going on since time began.  It's a shame that it starts with children, but not that surprising.  Because as kids we are primarily driven by our emotions, and we feel helpless and small.  We want to be bigger than we are.  That's why kids like to play dress up and role play/pretend.  Bullying is about power.  Someone small wanting to make themselves bigger.  So why am I talking about this?   Maybe it's because I was bullied as a child.  Maybe it's because of how it relates to "Gays" being bullied in school and in the work place.  Or maybe it's just another perspective that we fail to understand, so we think them inferior to us, like we are so far above what they've done.

Honestly, I feel torn when I hear about the movements and organizations that have been established to educate and prevent "Gays" being bullied in school.  On one hand, I'm supportive of these new actions.  Bullying of any kind is damaging, and needs to stop, but they like to tweak the "stopping" with a little bit of applauding.  Just like everyone else they want to push their own agenda.   This causes me to walk away with-holding my support, yet I walk away from these reports asking, "Where is the church?".  We complain that they are teaching our kids wrong values and confusing the issues, but I don't see us in there defending anyone against the ridicule and pain that comes with being a kid and confused about who you are or where you fit.  Someone will find them and show them love (if it's not too late).  Will it be us?

Things are changing.  Our schools are speaking up about "Gay" rights and equality.  Two teenage boys might even be acceptably holding hands in the hallway of their school without fear.  You can't turn on the TV or go to see a PG-13 movie without some reference to someone who is "Gay" "Bi" or other.   I feel the push to accept this as normal, as I'm sure you do too.  No Christian wants to give up their values, their morality of their country or their family without a fight!  I'm not belittling that at all.  We are willing to stand up and fight for what we believe saying, "This is wrong!   And I will not be forced to say it's alright!"  I understand.   And as we feel pushed, we want to push back.  How do we "push" back in a Christian way?

(answer: next post/ don't worry, you won't have to wait a month for this one.)   

1 comment:

  1. I am in a Christ based recovery group. Each week when we break into small groups, we say something like, "My name is Seth. I am a believer(follower, disciple, or another similar word) of Christ. I struggle with ..." In doing this, we learn over time to define ourselves and others by their relationship with Christ rather than their stuggles, poor coping skills, or addictions.

    Now there is a lot to be said on the 'judging' found in Christ's teachings and throughout His word. And it is not a subject to be taken lightly. You are on the right track in realizing one sentence shouldn't be stretched to mean we should NEVER judge. Stay on the path growing closer to Him! It's not always easy, but it's always worth it!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it Real. But keep it Respectful.